- BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2 – All Round Pick – Can be used in any application
- General Grabber ATX – Best Fuel Efficiency + Perfect Responsiveness – Great traction performance with a little noisy manners
- Firestone Destination X/T – Highway + Winter Pick – Perfect tire for towing and hauling with huge winter capability
- Cooper Discoverer AT3 LTX – Best Wearing – Insane wear life with great durability even for 1-ton trucks
- Toyo M-55 – Off-Road+Winter – Off-road beast with unique winter performance
- Cooper STT Pro– Non-Work/Aggressive Appearance – Great adventure tire for ‘Bigger is better’ supporters
- BF Goodrich KM3 – Comfort/Off-Road – Comfortable ride for a mud-terrain tire
Most all-terrain tires don’t last long on hauling and towing applications. Due to heavy load, they might get flat or wear unevenly. I’ve made deep research and found the best 3/4 ton truck tires for you. Let’s begin!
As a former Bridgestone engineer, from my standpoint, the above tires are the best options for 3/4 ton or above light trucks. They’re durable and reliable. All you have to do is properly identify your usage needs and select best fit for yourself.
- A side note here: I highly recommend checking TireRack Tire Decision Guide out before deciding on a tire. You can easily specify your priorities and get masterpiece suggestions in a minute.
- TireRack Test Results: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testSearch.jsp
- TireRack Tire Rating Charts & Reviews: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/reviews/MenuServlet?search=surveyComments
What are the 3/4 Trucks?
Simply, any truck weighs between 8,500 and 10,000 pounds. In that case, I’m talking about the gross vehicle weight rating(GVWR). If you want to know the maximum towing limit of your vehicle, you should check GVWR.
Here is a perfect explanation of vehicle weight rating. I strongly recommend you to check this out!
The below list contains the most popular 3/4 ton trucks for heavy and light duty.
- Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
- Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD
- Ford F-250 Super Duty
- Ford F-350 Super Duty
- Dodge RAM 2500
- Dodge RAM 3500
- Sierra 2500
- Ford F-150
- Chevrolet Silverado 1500
- Dodge RAM 1500
Note: Most 3/4 ton trucks can haul between 2,000-3,000 pounds. However, you can pull 10,000-14,000 pounds with them.
This list includes the best all-terrain tires for heavy-duty trucks.
Let’s start with our first tire!
- A sidenote here: If you’d like to see the best all-terrain tires by vehicle or usage, this article is GOOOOLD –> https://tireterrain.com/best-all-terrain-tires/
BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2 - All Round Pick
Yes, it’s on my list too. BF Goodrich KO2 is a safeguard pick of this list. It’s durable and proved its quality in many many years. Yet, it has some weak points.
In summary, BF Goodrich KO2 is a reliable tire. It’s indestructible for off-road driving. Well, it has higher rolling resistance compared to its successors. Hence, its tread life isn’t iconic as its rock performance. It’s a bit of a vocal tire on the road, yet, road noise isn’t intolerable.
|3-ply sidewall||Tread life isn’t superior|
|3-peak mountain snowflake marking||A bit vocal on highways|
|Great off-road traction(Baja Champion)||A bit pricy|
BF Goodrich KO2 is a heroic tire. It’s not the best on one thing but above average on everything. If you wanna stay on the safe side, it’s your tire.
You can also click here to see my detailed BF Goodrich KO2 review. This review includes 6 different tire comparisons either!
General Grabber ATX - Worth Bearing Noise
General has a fluffy price policy compared to Toyo or BF Goodrich. Grabber ATX is their hero product. They spend a lot of money during the development phase. Well, it looks like they get to return!
In summary, General Grabber ATX has stiff rubber. That feature increases its cut&chipping durability and improves the tread life. In return, its on-road manners aren’t satisfying as the other tires on this list. Yet, it’s worth giving it a try due to its reliable off-road manners. Plus, it’s severe winter rated.
|Huge off-road traction||Vocal on highway|
|Trusthworty in severe winter conditions||A bit bumpy|
General Grabber ATX is a fair crack at this price. If you’re not obsessed with road noise, I would strongly recommend you to try it!
If you want to see how it stands against other General tires, you can click here the check my article out!
You can also reach the comparison against BF Goodrich KO2 right here!
Firestone Destination XT - Winter + Highway
Firestone Destination XT(review) is a brand new heavy-duty tire. I was included in this tire development phase. Well, I can confidently say that it’s exceptional but it’s not for adventurers. Anyone who is looking for a work truck tire, hurry up! Prices will be up!
In summary, Firestone Destination XT is one of the most durable tires on the market. It has superior wet and winter traction. 3PMSF marking ensures that. It can handle any mild and severe conditions easily. Yet, you better don’t use it in deep mud or rock crawling.
|Massive wet traction||Not good for adventurers|
|Long last rubber||Hold little stones time to time|
|Proven winter performance|
|Optimized steering capability|
Due to increasing their market share, Firestone(Bridgestone) hold the prices at a low level. If you are looking for an LT tire, this one must be on your list.
Cooper Discoverer AT3 LTX - Best Wearing
Discoverer AT3 LTx is the durable version of Discoverer AT3. It’s designed to perform under the 3/4 or 1-ton trucks. I’m in love with its stone ejection capability. Yet, it has one weak point…
In summary, Discoverer AT3 XLT has massive traction ability in loaded applications. Its load range overwhelmed its competitors. A wet grip is phenomenal. Moreover, its sidewall design is as aggressive as regular all-terrain tires. The only weak point is severe snow performance. Light snow is okay but deep is not its expertise.
|Aggressive appearance||Deep snow traction is weak|
|Long last tread|
|60,000 miles warrant|
|Wet grip ability|
I like how Cooper classifies their products due to truck weight.
- Cooper Discoverer 4S –> 1/2 ton trucks, SUV, Crossovers
- Cooper Discoverer 4S LT –> 3/4 ton trucks, full-sized SUV
- Cooper Discoverer 4s XLT –> 3/4, 1-ton trucks, full-sized SUV
You can click here to see how Cooper Discoverer 4S stands against Hercules AT2!
Toyo M-55 - Off-Road/Winter
Toyo M-55 is a unique commercial grade off-road tire. The off-road identifier is crucial out here. This tire has a stiff compound for on-road usage. So, limited on-road manners might be expected.
In summary, Toyo M-55 has special traction off-road traction ability and supports this feature with a long-lasting rubber. It’s particularly designed for severe winter usage. In addition, you are able to mount studs on it due to increased ice traction. In return, you might feel uncomfortable due to road noise and bumpy manners.
|Winter beast||Road noise|
|Stud option||Vibration is expected|
|Flawless grip ability due to full-depth sipes||Increase on mpg|
|Long last tread|
Worth reminding, that Toyo M-55 is an off-road tire. In my opinion, you should ignore increasing fuel mileage. It’s a perfect option for severe construction sites.
You can click here to find how it stands against Toyo Open Country patterns out!
Cooper STT Pro - Non-work/Aggressive Appearence
Cooper STT Pro is a maximum traction tire. It’s not designed for towing or hauling. Hence, I’ve defined them as non-work tires. If you want an impressive look at your vehicle, you are at the right place.
In summary, Cooper STT Pro is one of the best mud-tire due to its exceptional traction ability. Moreover, its sidewalls are protected with Armor Tech3 Technology. It can perform smoothly on down-air usage. The only backward point is tread life. It’s a soft compound but indestructible inside!
|Massive traction ability||Short life span due to soft compound|
|Winter beast||A bit noisy but it’s nothing for a mud-terrain tire|
|One of the strongest construction in market|
Cooper STT Pro is a masterpiece if you’re not into tread-life things. It’s a performance tire. It will meet your expectations if you put tread life out of consideration.
Here is the detailed review for you!
BF Goodrich KM3 - Comfort/Off-Road
BF Goodrich KM3 is an off-road maximum traction tire. If I put the most comfortable off-road tire out of this list, it would be unfair. Good news, It’s good for towing and hauling!
In summary, BF Goodrich KM3 is a deaf tire. While it provides maximum traction off the road, it has unique on-road manners for a mud-terrain tire. It can perform perfectly on any harsh terrain. In return, it’s rubbish on ice.
|Comfortable for a mud-terrain||Poor ice performance|
|3-ply sidewall||Not for workers|
I love how this tire looks. For anyone who is looking for an aggressive look and massive off-road traction, it’s a suitable option.
You can check my article to see how good it is!
|BF Goodrich KO2||General Grabber ATX||Cooper STT Pro||Firestone Destination XT||BF Goodrich Mud-Terrain KM3||Toyo M-55|
|Category||All-Terrain Tire||All-Terrain Tire||Mud-Terrain Tire||All-Terrain Tire||Mud-Terrain Tire||Commercial All-Terrain Tire|
|Vehicle||Light Truck, SUV||Light Truck, SUV||Light Truck, SUV||Light Truck, SUV||Light Truck, SUV||Light Truck, SUV|
|Available Sizes (Rim)||15’’, 16’’, 17’’, 18’’, 20’’, 22’’||14”, 15”, 16”, 17”, 18”, 20”||15’’, 16’’, 17’’, 18’’, 20’’, 22’’||15”, 16”, 17”, 18”, 20”||15’’, 16’’, 17’’, 18’’, 20’’, 22’’||15’’, 16’’, 17’’, 18’’|
|Weight||34-78 lbs||28 – 75 lbs||42-94 lbs||35 – 61 lbs||37 – 89 lbs||30 – 60 lbs
|Made In||Opelika, AL, USA||Mt. Vernon, Illinois, USA||USA||USA||Opelika, AL, USA||White, GA, USA|
|Severe Snow Rated (3PMSF)||Yes||Yes||No (only M+S)||Yes||No (Only M+S)||Yes|
|Warranty (P-metric)||50,000 Miles||55,000 Miles||45 Days Test Drive||50,000 Miles||N/A||N/A|
|Warranty (LT Sizes)||50,000 Miles||55,000 Miles||45 Days Test Drive||50,000 Miles||N/A||N/A|
|Prices||Check price section to see best possible prices||Check price section to see best possible prices||Check price section to see best possible prices||Check price section to see best possible prices||Check price section to see best possible prices||Check price section to see best possible prices|
The tire market has a dynamic price policy. Hence, in my point of view, sharing tire price is pointless.
Though, I’ve analyzed the top 10 brands of most popular tire brands.
Here are the dealers with a reasonable price range,
- Fast and Free shipping
- Usually delivered in 1 day
- Joint venture with DiscountTire(their installers and dealers are on your service)
- Tons of installer options, they also help you to choose the best one
- Mobile installers in many areas, your tires will be replaced while you’re working in the office
- Tire test results and comparisons can be found on the most product page
- 4.6/5 points on Google rate
BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/bfgoodrich-all-terrain-t-a-ko2
General Grabber ATX: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/general-grabber-a-tx
Firestone Destination X/T: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/firestone-destination-x-t
Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/cooper-discoverer-at3-xlt
Toyo M-55: Not available
Cooper STT Pro: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/cooper-discoverer-stt-pro
BF Goodrich Mud-Terrain T/A KM3: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/bfgoodrich-mud-terrain-t-a-km3
- Biggest dealer in the US. Founded in 1960
- 1000 stores in 35 states. You most probably find one on your parallel street
- Free rotation and balancing
- 5% off for DiscountTire cardholders on online purchase
- Highest rated online tire dealer in Consumer Affairs
- Almost all brands are available
- Delivery takes 2-4 days (30% shorter average waiting time when you book online)
- Frequent discounts and promotions
BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2: https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/bfgoodrich-all-terrain-t-a-ko2
General Grabber ATX: https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/general-grabber-atx
Firestone Destination X/T: https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/firestone-tire-destination-x-t
Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT: https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/cooper-discoverer-at3-xlt
Cooper STT Pro: https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/cooper-discoverer-stt-pro
BF Goodrich Mud-Terrain T/A KM3: https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/bfgoodrich-mud-terrain-t-a-km3
- Free shipping
- Delivered in 2 days
- Verified shops near you(for mount and balance)
- Mobile installation option
- 7 million customers since 2021
- 4.7/5 points on Google rate
- Top-notch customer service, you may even request a price match
BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2: https://simpletire.com/brands/bfgoodrich-tires/all-terrain-t-a-ko2
General Grabber ATX: https://simpletire.com/brands/general-tires/grabber-a-tx
Firestone Destination X/T: https://simpletire.com/brands/firestone-tires/destination-x-t
Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT: https://simpletire.com/brands/cooper-tires/discoverer-at3-xlt
Cooper STT Pro: https://simpletire.com/brands/cooper-tires/discoverer-stt-pro
BF Goodrich Mud-Terrain T/A KM3: https://simpletire.com/brands/bfgoodrich-tires/mud-terrain-t-a-km3
While choosing dealers, I especially pay attention to reliability. All of the dealers on this list have 15-20 years of experience in the online tire business. Therefore, I can guarantee a smooth and fast tire buying process.
These are my ‘Top-8’ pick for over 3/4 ton trucks. I separate them due to their strong point and state these points on headings. Here is the summary table for you.
|Tread Life||Puncture Durability||On-Road||Off-Road||Wet Traction||Winter Traction||Price|
|BF Goodrich KO2||7||9||7||9||7||8||High|
|General Grabber ATX||8||8||6||9||8||8||Affordable|
|Firestone Destination XT||9||9||9||7||9||9||Affordable|
|Cooper Discoverer AT3 LTX||10||9||8||8||8||8||Average|
|Cooper STT Pro||7||10||7||10||8||8||Average|
|BF Goodrich KM3||7||9||8||9||8||8||High|
- LT sizes have stronger sidewalls. That feature makes them more durable but less comfortable. I don’t recommend them only for inner-city driving. (LT vs P-Metric tires)
- XL sizes tend to carry more load and offer better handling. Hence, they might be a better pick for hauling and towing( XL vs SL tires)
- Please pay attention to load range and speed index. These metrics are essential if you expect decent tread life.
Pages that should be strictly checked before making a purchase:
- TireRack Deals: https://www.tirerack.com/specialoffers/specialoffers.jsp
- DiscountTire Deals: https://www.discounttire.com/promotions
- SimpleTire Deals: https://simpletire.com/tire-deals
- JustTire Deals (Goodyear, Cooper, Starfire, Kelly): https://www.justtires.com/en-US/offers
- Goodyear Deals: https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tire-sale
I hope the article was helpful for those debating. If you have any further questions, please leave them below! Have a safe ride!
Guide Me Bruh!
This section contains my research and top picks. Depending on your need, you may choose a category and easily find the best fit for yourself. Remember, nobody knows your driving conditions and requirements better than yourself. You’re in the charge out here.