Ultra Grip Winter is Goodyear’s studdable winter tire. You can use this tire on sedans, minivans, coupes, high-performance vehicles as well as light trucks that are only used passenger-oriented. Let’s dig into it and see what’s its cons and pros!
As a former Bridgestone engineer, from my standpoint, Goodyear Ultra Grip Winter is a beast in light and deep snow. Moreover, its ice traction is unique. However, it has limited steering response and cornering stability. Yet, its huge wet performance covers this deficiency. Lastly, it’s a comfortable but slightly noisy tire.
- Note: If you order your tires online on Goodyear.com, you can get free delivery to your local installer.
- TireRack Test Results: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/TireTestServlet?perfType=PSIS
- TireRack Tire Rating Charts & Reviews: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=W&VT=C
Table of Contents
Dry performance is consists of 3 different dimensions. Dry traction, steering response, and cornering stability. Due to winter tires intensely siped and soft rubber, they can handle dry traction with ease. For this reason, I will evaluate steering response and cornering stability in this section.
Let’s start with the steering response.
Steering response is mostly about the inter-locked center section. Even so, the most successful winter tire makers like Nokian and Continental use solid rib on the center section. When I first see this tire, I was pretty sure that this tire has a poor steering response. When the bloated void area of the center section combines with the soft compound, it causes a decrease in transmitting time. Thus, If you wanna buy this tire, be aware, it has below average steering response.
Regarding cornering stability, it’s pretty much the same with steering response. According to Goodyear, they use a stiff shoulder compound the increase cornering stability. Yet, weak sidewalls make you feel like floating while cornering. Well, I say below average for high-speed cornering stability.
Wet performance is where Ultra Grip Winter is shining.
Winter tires have soft compounds due to increasing grip on slippery surfaces. When you merge this feature with the well-placed sipes, massive wet traction is naturally expected.
Due to its 3 circumferential grooves and open shoulder blocks, it can evacuate water easily. Therefore, it has massive hydroplaning resistance for high-speed usage.
Ultra Grip Winter is a trustworthy choice for wet grounds. I strongly recommend it.
Note: Hydroplaning is vital for a safe ride under the pouring rain. However, it might occur even with the best tire. Maybe you can’t prevent it but if you know what it is and how to deal with it, you can easily stay on the safe side.
Here is an extremely efficient guide about ‘How to Deal with Hydroplaning?‘ –> https://www.prioritytire.com/blog/hydroplaning-aquaplaning
Comfort and Road Noise
Soft compound and flexible sidewalls get into the game again and offer a comfortable ride for your delicate butt 🙂
However, block type design has a significantly negative impact on road noise. Furthermore, the contact patch of the center section is limited for Ultra Grip Winter Tire. As a result, it’s a bit vocal tire.
Goodyear Ultra Grip Winter won’t give you a bumpy ride but it’s a slightly noisy tire.
Due to the lug-type tread pattern, it will increase your fuel consumption for sure. Moreover, sipes and soft compound increases their rolling resistance. That feature also have negative affect on fuel-mileage.
This tire is built only but only for winter usage. Therefore, I don’t accept anything but perfect performance. Well, it meets my expectations.
Regarding light snow, it’s similar to wet performance. Water evacuation capability and grip are the game-changers. Well, it has a massive light snow performance.
Regarding deep snow, here is where it steps ahead. Due to lug type design and deep tread grooves, it offers huge traction. Moreover, its angled and serrated shoulder and center blocks can clean themselves very well and provide consistent traction.
Ice performance is convertible. Goodyear Ultra Grip Winter has a stud option that offers tons of traction on icy ground. For this reason, it has alpha plus ice performance with studs. However, its ice performance isn’t perfect but acceptable without studs.
Note: Goodyear Ultra Grip Winter has 3PMSF marking which means it has approved severe winter performance.
Due to its robust shoulder compound and lugged but directional pattern, it wears evenly. Furthermore, its tread depth is higher than its successors. Hence, it has decent tread life. Even so, it lasts more than average all-season tires.
Getting maximum wear life from a tire is related to you as well as your tire,
If you’d like to learn how to get maximum tread life:
Goodyear doesn’t offer a treadwear warranty for this product. Yet, if you face uniformity on the first 2/32” part of wearing in the first year, they replace your tire with a new one or refund.
You can use the below table to use if it fits your vehicle.
Goodyear Ultra Grip Winter Sizes
|175/70R14||185/65R15||205/55R16 XL||215/65R17||235/60R18 XL|
Most tire sizes begin with modifier letters(P, LT, etc.) that identify the type of vehicle or type of service for which they were designed. Here is a perfect guide for reading tire size –> https://tireterrain.com/how-to-read-tire-size/
|Goodyear Wrangler Ultra Grip Winter|
|Category||Studless Winter/Snow Tire|
|Vehicle||Passenger vehicles, SUVs, Light-Truck(passenger oriented)|
|Available Sizes (Rim)||14”, 15”, 16”, 17”, 18”, 19”|
|Weight||19 – 31 lbs|
|Warranty (LT Sizes)||N/A|
|Prices||Check price section to see best possible prices|
The tire market has a dynamic price policy. Hence, in my point of view, sharing tire price is pointless.
Though, I’ve analyzed the top 10 brands of most popular tire brands.
Here are the dealers with a reasonable price range,
- Price match guarantee ( if you find a lower price online 14 days after purchase, Goodyear will pay back to price difference)
- The rebate option is mostly available
- The warranty process is the easiest
- Monthly payment is available
- You can use any locale dealer that has an agreement with a Goodyear for an installation
Goodyear Ultra Grip Winter: https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/ultra-grip-winter-tire
- Goodyear owned company
- Only Goodyear and Cooper brands are available
- The rebate option is always available
- You most probably find a dealer near you
Goodyear Ultra Grip Winter: https://www.justtires.com/en-US/tires/ultra-grip-winter-tire
- Fast and Free shipping
- Usually delivered in 1 day
- Joint venture with DiscountTire(their installers and dealers are on your service)
- Tons of installer options, they also help you to choose the best one
- Mobile installers in many areas, your tires will be replaced while you’re working in the office
- Tire test results and comparisons can be found on the most product page
- 4.6/5 points on Google rate
Goodyear Ultra Grip Winter: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/goodyear-ultra-grip-winter
- Biggest dealer in the US. Founded in 1960
- 1000 stores in 35 states. You most probably find one on your parallel street
- Free rotation and balancing
- 5% off for DiscountTire cardholders on online purchase
- Highest rated online tire dealer in Consumer Affairs
- Almost all brands are available
- Delivery takes 2-4 days (30% shorter average waiting time when you book online)
- Frequent discounts and promotions
Goodyear Ultra Grip Winter: https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/goodyear-ultra-grip-winter
- Free shipping
- Delivered in 2 days
- Verified shops near you(for mount and balance)
- Mobile installation option
- 7 million customers since 2021
- 4.7/5 points on Google rate
- Top-notch customer service, you may even request a price match
Goodyear Ultra Grip Winter: https://simpletire.com/brands/goodyear-tires/ultra-grip-winter
While choosing dealers, I especially pay attention to reliability. All of the dealers on this list have 15-20 years of experience in the online tire business. Therefore, I can guarantee a smooth and fast tire buying process.
Goodyear Ultra Grip Winter is a decent studdable winter tire. In that case, the market is narrow and options are limited. The other option is General Altimax Arctic 12. Both have cons and pros. The below table will help you to select the best fit for yourself.
|Goodyear Ultra Grip Winter||General Altimax Arctic 12|
|Slightly better on wet||Better steering response and cornering stability|
|Slightly better light snow performance||More comfortable ride and less vocal tire|
|Slightly better deep snow traction||Slightly better tread life|
|Slightly cheaper||Better ice traction|
- LT sizes have stronger sidewalls. That feature makes them more durable but less comfortable. I don’t recommend them only for inner-city driving. (LT vs P-Metric tires)
- XL sizes tend to carry more load and offer better handling. Hence, they might be a better pick for hauling and towing( XL vs SL tires)
- Please pay attention to load range and speed index. These metrics are essential if you expect decent tread life.
Pages that should be strictly checked before making a purchase:
- TireRack Deals: https://www.tirerack.com/specialoffers/specialoffers.jsp
- DiscountTire Deals: https://www.discounttire.com/promotions
- SimpleTire Deals: https://simpletire.com/tire-deals
- JustTire Deals (Goodyear, Cooper, Starfire, Kelly): https://www.justtires.com/en-US/offers
- Goodyear Deals: https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tire-sale
If you have any further questions, please leave them below. Have a safe ride folks!
Guide Me Bruh!
This section contains my research and top picks. Depending on your need, you may choose a category and easily find the best fit for yourself. Remember, nobody knows your driving conditions and requirements better than yourself. You’re in the charge out here.