NT01 and R888 are built in the same factory since Toyo bought Nitto in 1999. These racetrack tires are built to perform on dry ground. Though worth reminding, these are not streetable track tires. They have very limited wet performance. Hence, my main comparison points will be tread life and handling. Let’s move on!
As a former Bridgestone engineer, from my standpoint, Nitto NT01 can last a couple of races more. Moreover, its non-directional pattern is a huge advantage for rotation. Both are extremely smooth tires. Yet, Toyo R888 is my favorite. Plus, Toyo R888 offers a more reliable grip and cornering due to its stronger sidewalls. These sidewalls heathen up slower but provide better handling. It overperforms Nitto NT01 on wet grounds. A wide range of sizes is another advantage of the Toyo R888R.
Table of Contents
Both tires are rated 100tw. So, reaching 30,000 miles on them is what is expected. These are 100tw track day specials that deliver on par with today’s Super-200s for single-lap pace.
In that case, consistency is the key. You can take one lap and another 0,5 slower lap with these ones.
You should drive these tires on low inflation pressure to get a better grip(aim for 32-33 hot). Though, irregular wear is inevitable. Well, irregular wear is the enemy of tread life.
In that case, I will evaluate them due to tread design.
It appears that Nitto NT01 is asymmetric and Toyo R888R is directional. An asymmetrical tread pattern provides you with a rotation possibility(Left to right). On the other hand, you have kinda had no choice but replacement in case of irregular wear.
Nitto NT01 is the winner in this section.
Getting maximum wear life from a tire is related to you as well as your tire,
If you’d like to learn how to get maximum tread life:
Wet performance is hard to reach for racetrack tires. Due to closed shoulders and flat patterns, these tires struggle to evacuate water.
Circumferential grooves are the key in this section. Though, Nitto NT01 has a big advantage. Full-depth sipes and two circumferential grooves make it stronger on wet grounds.
Nitto NT01 is the winner in this section.
Note: Hydroplaning is vital for a safe ride under the pouring rain. However, it might occur even with the best tire. Maybe you can’t prevent it but if you know what it is and how to deal with it, you can easily stay on the safe side.
Here is an extremely efficient guide about ‘How to Deal with Hydroplaning?‘ –> https://www.discounttire.com/learn/hydroplaning
Grip and Cornering
The grip is the most important feature of racetrack tires. Well, the difference between these two is sidewall construction.
R888R has a stiffer compound. Though, it quickly reaches operating temperature and provides high grip levels for maximum cornering performance.
On the other hand, NT01 has a softer compound. It takes time to get ready for the fight. Well, when it’s heated up, it can perform as well as R888R.
Both are trustworthy options, I prefer R888R for higher HP’s and NT01 for lower HP’s.
In my point of view, road noise isn’t an evaluation criterion for racetrack tires. Yet, it is important for some customers.
NT01 is a less vocal tire due to the softer compound. It is the winner in this section.
A side note here: Even though some tires tend to make noise because of their tread patterns, it’s still possible to keep your tire noise down.
I’m leaving a perfect explanation below from DiscountTire for those who need it;
How to Keep Tire Noise Down? –>
|Nitto NT01||Toyo Proxes R888R|
|Category||RaceTrack & Autocross||RaceTrack & Autocross|
|Vehicle||Racing Vehicles||Racing Vehicles|
|Available Sizes (Rim)||14”, 15”, 16”, 17”, 18”, 19”, 20”||13”, 14”, 15”, 16”, 17”, 18”, 19”, 20”|
|Weight||19 – 35 lbs||17 – 36 lbs|
|Made In||White, GA, USA||White, GA, USA|
|Severe Snow Rated (3PMSF)||N/A||N/A|
|Warranty (LT Sizes)||N/A||N/A|
|Prices||Check price section to see best possible prices||Check price section to see best possible prices|
The tire market has a dynamic price policy. Hence, in my point of view, sharing tire price is pointless.
Though, I’ve analyzed the top 10 brands of most popular tire brands.
Here are the dealers with a reasonable price range,
- Biggest dealer in the US. Founded in 1960
- 1000 stores in 35 states. You most probably find one on your parallel street
- Free rotation and balancing
- 5% off for DiscountTire cardholders on online purchase
- Highest rated online tire dealer in Consumer Affairs
- Almost all brands are available
- Delivery takes 2-4 days (30% shorter average waiting time when you book online)
- Frequent discounts and promotions
Toyo R888R (second-generation): https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/toyo-tire-proxes-r888r
- Free shipping
- Delivered in 2 days
- Verified shops near you(for mount and balance)
- Mobile installation option
- 7 million customers since 2021
- 4.7/5 points on Google rate
- Top-notch customer service, you may even request a price match
Nitto NT01: https://simpletire.com/brands/nitto-tires/nt01
- Fast and Free shipping
- Usually delivered in 1 day
- Joint venture with DiscountTire(their installers and dealers are on your service)
- Tons of installer options, they also help you to choose the best one
- Mobile installers in many areas, your tires will be replaced while you’re working in the office
- Tire test results and comparisons can be found on the most product page
- 4.6/5 points on Google rate
Nitto NT01: Not available
While choosing dealers, I especially pay attention to reliability. All of the dealers on this list have 15-20 years of experience in the online tire business. Therefore, I can guarantee a smooth and fast tire buying process.
Racetrack tires have variable performance depending on the vehicle. There are some take-home points.
- Vehicle weight
- XL sizes tend to carry more load and offer better handling. Hence, they might be a better pick for bigger vehicles( XL vs SL tires)
- Please pay attention to the load range and speed index. These metrics are essential if you expect decent tread life
- There isn’t a bad tire in the market right now, you should just know what to expect from tires
A side note here: If you’d like to get local advice and find the best fit for your driving habits, location, and road conditions DiscountTire – Treadwell Tire Guide can give you masterpiece recommendations.
R888R can overwhelm NT01 on all the items above. It can handle heavier vehicles. It can overcome high horsepower and it’s available in various size ranges.
I hope this article was helpful. Have a safe ride, guys!