Scorpion Winter is a Pirelli’s performance winter/snow tire. It’s specifically designed for luxury SUVs(best tires for), crossovers, and sport utility vehicles. For this reason, it’s available in rare rim sizes like 19” and 21”. Unlike most winter tires, it’s all-round tire that can offer comfortable driving for all seasons. Yet, it has pros and cons. Let’s dig into it and see what it’s capable of.
As a former Bridgestone engineer, from my standpoint, Pirelli Scorpion Winter has huge traction capability on wet and dry grounds. Due to its specific design, it has a massive handling ability. Moreover, its light-snow performance is one of the best. However, it has limited deep snow and ice performance. Regarding tread life, it’s similar to performance tires. Well, it offers traction and comfort instead of long-lasting rubber. Though, its tread life isn’t poor but average.
- TireRack Test Results: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/TireTestServlet?perfType=LTSIS
- TireRack Tire Rating Charts & Reviews: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?clearSize=true&type=W&VT=LT
Table of Contents
Most people complain about winter tires’ dry performance. Well, that’s totally normal due to their weighted structure and sticker compounds. In that case, handling tends to decrease. Thus, in this section, that’s one of my evaluation point. Let’s analyze it deeply.
Dry traction isn’t an issue for winter tires due to their highly notched rubber and soft compounds. These tires are designed to grip in slippery and squishy conditions.
Pirelli Scorpion Winter has massive dry traction.
Dry handling is where Scorpion Winter steps ahead. Unlike most winter tires, this one has a directional design. Moreover, it has a modular center section that is used to optimize contact patch. This section works like a mast and enhances this tires’ steering capability. Lastly but most importantly, Pirelli Scorpion Winter is a light tire. That feature has a huge impact on quick steering response.
Pirelli Scorpion Winter has extraordinary handling on dry grounds.
Wet performance can be tricky for winter tires. Most winter tires have a block design which has a negative impact on the solid contact patch. Moreover, winter tires lack circumferential grooves which is the main game changer for water evacuation(hydroplaning resistance). However, this judgment isn’t valid for Pirelli Scorpion Winter.
Pirelli Scorpion Winter has 2 circumferential grooves for a width of 255 and 4 for 265 or higher. Moreover, its open shoulder block design helps it to throw the water out. Therefore, Pirelli Scorpion Winter has a huge wet performance at high speeds.
Regarding wet grip, sipes and fluffy compounds do all the work. It’s solid.
Note: Hydroplaning is vital for a safe ride under the pouring rain. However, it might occur even with the best tire. Maybe you can’t prevent it but if you know what it is and how to deal with it, you can easily stay on the safe side.
Here is an extremely efficient guide about ‘How to Deal with Hydroplaning?‘ –> https://www.prioritytire.com/blog/hydroplaning-aquaplaning
As I mentioned before, Pirelli Scorpion Winter is a PERFORMANCE winter tire. So, expecting touring winter tire performance from it is kinda unrealistic. These tires are designed for mild winter performance on high-speed vehicles. Thus, they should sacrifice from deep snow and ice performance a bit.
Light snow is where it shines. Due to the slick compound and very well-siped rubber, it has a massive grip on light snow. Moreover, snow booster ridges that are placed inside the grooves increase their self-cleaning ability. For this reason, it’s a solid tire for light snow.
Due to its self-cleaning ability, it can handle deep snow. However, this tire has shallow tread depth. This feature puts some limits on deep snow performance. If the thickness of snow is more than 4”, I don’t recommend using this tire.
Due to its multi-directional sipes, it can grip the ice with ease. However, this design has lack asymmetry. It’s highly important for ice traction. So, I’m going to say average for ice performance.
Due to its handling capability and soft compound, this tire offers a comfortable ride. Its flexible but durable internal construction make you feel like on the cotton while drive through the bumbs.
Even though symmetrical design and narrowed void area help it to reduce road noise, this tire is slightly noisy compared to the touring tires. However, it’s still one of the best among the winter tires. Pirelli also applies noise cancellation technology into the structure that reduces noise by half.
Tread life is where it comes short. In my point of view, that’s expected. Due to its fluffy compound and highly notched rubber, this tire could have high rolling resistance. However, the lightweight of this tire cover some of this deficiency. Yet, it’s not enough to promote long-lasting tires.
Pirelli Scorpion Winter has average tread life.
Getting maximum wear life from a tire is related to you as well as your tire,
If you’d like to learn how to get maximum tread life:
Pirelli doesn’t offer any tread life warranty for this product. However, a material warrant is still valid for the first 2/32” wear.
Note: Winter tires are designed to perform under 7 Celcius degrees. If you’ll use them over this temperature, they will wear quickly. Moreover, feather-type uneven wearing might occur. Material warranty doesn’t cover this wearing.
Most tire sizes begin with modifier letters(P, LT, etc.) that identify the type of vehicle or type of service for which they were designed. Here is a perfect guide for reading tire size –> https://tireterrain.com/how-to-read-tire-size/
|Pirelli Scorpion Winter|
|Category||Light-Truck/SUV Performacne Winter Tire|
|Vehicle||SUV, Crossover, sedans, coupes|
|Available Sizes (Rim)||16’’, 17’’, 18’’, 19”, 20’’, 21”, 22”|
|Weight||23 – 42 lbs|
|Severe Snow Rated (3PMSF)||Yes (3PMSF)|
|Warranty (LT Sizes)||N/A|
|Prices||Check price section to see best possible prices|
The tire market has a dynamic price policy. Hence, in my point of view, sharing tire price is pointless.
Though, I’ve analyzed the top 10 brands of most popular tire brands.
Here are the dealers with a reasonable price range,
- Fast and Free shipping
- Usually delivered in 1 day
- Joint venture with DiscountTire(their installers and dealers are on your service)
- Tons of installer options, they also help you to choose the best one
- Mobile installers in many areas, your tires will be replaced while you’re working in the office
- Tire test results and comparisons can be found on the most product page
- 4.6/5 points on Google rate
Pirelli Scorpion Winter: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/pirelli-scorpion-winter
- Biggest dealer in the US. Founded in 1960
- 1000 stores in 35 states. You most probably find one on your parallel street
- Free rotation and balancing
- 5% off for DiscountTire cardholders on online purchase
- Highest rated online tire dealer in Consumer Affairs
- Almost all brands are available
- Delivery takes 2-4 days (30% shorter average waiting time when you book online)
- Frequent discounts and promotions
Pirelli Scorpion Winter: https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/pirelli-scorpion-winter
- Free shipping
- Delivered in 2 days
- Verified shops near you(for mount and balance)
- Mobile installation option
- 7 million customers since 2021
- 4.7/5 points on Google rate
- Top-notch customer service, you may even request a price match
Pirelli Scorpion Winter: https://simpletire.com/brands/pirelli-tires/scorpion-winter
While choosing dealers, I especially pay attention to reliability. All of the dealers on this list have 15-20 years of experience in the online tire business. Therefore, I can guarantee a smooth and fast tire buying process.
Pirelli Scorpion Winter is one of the best tires in its segment. It’s reliable and multi-functional. However, it’s a performance tire. Therefore, it focuses on traction, handling, and good appearance instead of tread life.
I recommend you to take the below points into consideration for a better size selection.
- LT sizes have stronger sidewalls. That feature makes them more durable but less comfortable. I don’t recommend them only for inner-city driving. (LT vs P-Metric tires)
- XL sizes tend to carry more load and offer better handling. Hence, they might be a better pick for hauling and towing( XL vs SL tires)
- Please pay attention to load range and speed index. These metrics are essential if you expect decent tread life.
Pages that should be strictly checked before making a purchase:
- TireRack Deals: https://www.tirerack.com/specialoffers/specialoffers.jsp
- DiscountTire Deals: https://www.discounttire.com/promotions
- SimpleTire Deals: https://simpletire.com/tire-deals
- JustTire Deals (Goodyear, Cooper, Starfire, Kelly): https://www.justtires.com/en-US/offers
- Goodyear Deals: https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tire-sale
I hope this article was helpful. If you have any further questions, please leave them into the below section.
Guide Me Bruh!
This section contains my research and top picks. Depending on your need, you may choose a category and easily find the best fit for yourself. Remember, nobody knows your driving conditions and requirements better than yourself. You’re in the charge out here.